The “Dos” of Hiring an Interior Designer
So….you have just moved into your new “dream home”, or maybe you have lived in the same home and it is time to remodel or update. The prospect of where to start can be totally overwhelming and daunting.
Where do you start?
- What do you want to create or change?
- Who will use the space and what activities will take place there?
- How long do you plan to live in your home?
- What kind of look or feel do you want to have?
- How much time and money do you want to devote to the project?
- What role do you want your interior designer to play?
- When you are ready to select a designer, how will you know if you have chosen a professional designer?
- One way to ensure this is if he/she is a member of the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID).
- ASID members must meet educational and experience requirements, as well as adhere to a strict code of ethics and professional conduct.
In general, you want a designer with the following characteristics:
- ASID accreditation
- Experience in the type of project you are doing
- Has demonstrated creativity, talent and resourcefulness
- Is attentive, responsive and communicates well
- Has a record of reliability and good work habits
- Has a website or recent portfolio of work
- Offers references
When you hire a professional interior designer, you get the benefit of an experienced professional who can solve problems, help you avoid costly mistakes and, most importantly, listens to your needs and creates a space designed just for you!